Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Past Attempts

I was brought up in the UK out in the country where we always had large vegetable plots, greenhouses, free range chicken and ducks and as much space as we really needed.

However, in 2009 I moved to Ireland through work and have been living in rented accommodation since then. This has put a premium on space and due to the lack of it I've only managed to grow my fruit and vegetables on a small scale with mixed success. Mostly it has just been the odd outdoor pot or window-sill propagator due to the aforementioned lack of space.

However, last year I moved to a property which gave me enough space to get myself a couple of mini-greenhouses - the 4 tier plastic variety like this:


I had all 8 shelves crammed with seed trays and things were coming along nicely. They were close to the point of being re-potted when I went to Barcelona for a few days.
When I came back I was greeted with the site of both greenhouses on their sides and a large pile of compost and broken pots. - Turns out there had been some insanely high winds while I had been gone.

Undeterred I decided to start again. I moved the greenhouses to a more sheltered area and started replanting. I was growing a random mix at this point consisting of whatever seeds I had left over. It consisted of a variety of chillies, tomatoes, radishes, bell peppers, herbs, and salad leaf.
This time things didn't fall over so within a few weeks I had this:

Mostly just chillies in here at the moment

Tomatoes ready to be re-potted

Unfortunately, due to a very poor summer (not much sun and very wet) things didn't go great for the produce. The majority of the tomatoes never ripened and the chilli's stayed green (apart from one plant which I ended up moving in-doors)

The tomatoes got a little bigger than this but never came to much

Some of the chillies grew massive, but never changed colour

In the end everything was picked green and turned into sweet green chilli jam and green tomato chutney

Tomatoes and onions ready for reducing


Green Tomato Chutney

So that was last year. This year i'm hoping for a lot more success and on a bigger scale. More to come soon...


No comments:

Post a Comment