Thursday, March 7, 2013

2013 - The Year of The Chilli

Well a new year, a new project.

This year's focus is purely on chillies. These are always my favourite of the things I grow, so I thought I'd purely concentrate on those.

This is what seeds I have ordered so far:

100 x Jalapeno Purple
100 x Chiltepin
80 x Scotch Bonnet Red
40 x Habanero White
40 x Cayenne
10 x Little Elf
10 x Butch T
10 x Trinidad Scorpion
10 x Moruga Scorpion

So 400 chilli seeds in total. I'll also be growing a handful of other plants too. Mainly tomatoes and sweet peppers.

Now obviously I'll not be having that many plants growing at once. I just don't have the space (as you can see below). Each seed tray section will have two seeds in each, one of which is only for redundancy measures. So at max I will have 200 plants.
Even then some of those will be given away/sold to friends and at car-boot sales. I'm not certain the exact number I'll keep as this is the first time growing at the new house.

Speaking of which, this is what I will be growing in:


It's actually a single-glazed lean-to conservatory that has, up to this point, just been used as a storage room. I have commandeered half of it (other half is for storage still) which gives me around 10' x 10' of workable space. It's south facing too which is perfect.

I spent a few hours last weekend sorting it a bit and putting up some bubble-wrap insulation as well as making use of whatever I can find as shelving. So this is what it looks like at the moment.


I need to finish that last few panes with the bubble-wrap as well as moving the frames from the old mini-greenhouses in as more shelving.
The lamp you can see is fitted with a 5000k daylight bulb to give a couple of trays a head start. The black thing in the bottom right is filled with water and will be used for heat storage during the day. I also have a 80 litre compost bin which will stand in the centre of the room to provide another minor heat source.

Well that's everything so far. I'll update this again once I may some progress or when my seeds turn up.


No comments:

Post a Comment